Teledentistry is a way for orthodontists to stay in touch with their patients and continue giving them advice and diagnoses of oral health concerns that they may have. It is encouraged for people to consider teledentistry if they are unable to make it into the orthodontist's office.Every orthodontist has their own process for teledentistry, but…
Is Teledentistry Effective for Diagnosis and Treatment
Many patients are busy and are just seeking a professional opinion of their symptoms. In cases like these, one of the best alternatives to an office visit is a virtual consultation. In this article, we discuss what information a teledentist can effectively provide and when a traditional appointment is need to make a diagnosis or recommend treatment.
The effectiveness of teledentistry
Teledentistry involves using modern communication tools to diagnose and treat patients. It is currently the primary way people with non-emergency oral health issues can get the treatments they need. It often involves using video chats, phone calls, text messages or data transfers. It provides a more convenient treatment option for patients. The average person only spends 17 minutes talking to an orthodontist or being treated for every hour spent at the clinic.
Teledentistry has been proven to be effective as patients who go this route have similar success rates with those who go for in-office treatments. Diagnoses made with teledentistry are typically as accurate as those made with visual examinations in the orthodontist's chair.
Only about 50 percent of people in the U.S. visit an orthodontist regularly and they usually make these visits when the oral health issue they are dealing with has morphed into an emergency. People tend to hold off going to the orthodontist due to costs, orthodontic treatment phobia or the inconvenience it creates.
Teledentistry makes it easier for patients to get the treatments they need since they simply need internet access to connect with an orthodontist. It allows people with minor oral health issues to tackle them when they occur instead of waiting for the problem to turn into something worse.
Orthodontic procedures that can be effectively performed with teledentistry include:
- Assessments: Orthodontists can use teledentistry to assess their patients and determine if the person needs to come to the clinic.
- Prescriptions: Once a patient has been remotely assessed, the orthodontist can write an e-script for prescriptions, like antibiotics and pain killers.
- Supervision: Teledentistry can be used to monitor a patient’s progress after getting professional treatments. For example, it can be used to observe how orthodontic appliances, like braces, are moving a person’s teeth.
Many insurance providers now cover teledentistry as it becomes more popular as a way to provide orthodontic care. Remote treatments also provide access to many who live far away from the orthodontist and those who do not have proper coverage. Orthodontic costs are significantly reduced with teledentistry.
The benefits of teledentistry treatments include:
- Reduces the risk of infections for both the orthodontists and their patients.
- Allows patients to get the treatments they need from the comfort of their homes.
- Can be effectively used to diagnose and treat minor oral issues.
- Can be used to educate the patient on how to take proper care of their teeth.
- Provides a cheaper option for patients.
- Allows the orthodontist to monitor the patient’s progress after getting treatments.
Give teledentistry a try
Those with less pressing issues can be treated with teledentistry. Give us a call to start the process.
Continuing developments in mobile technology have made teledentistry an option for many patients. With this relatively new approach to oral health, people can connect with an orthodontic professional when visiting in person is not a viable or wise choice. Locations that offer this option can instruct patients on what is needed to perform a virtual…
Teledentistry offers convenience to patients who cannot physically get to their dentist. Dentists are quickly adopting teledentistry because it is a convenient, cost-effective way of keeping tabs on patients. They also use the technology to consult with colleagues and specialists that work in different locations.Teledentistry visits have become a safe way for dentists to conduct…